Still More Historic Walking
- ST MARY'S HALL AND CATHOLIC CHURCH: Situated behind the present
Church (1940) St Mary's is the original Church built in 1867 by the McGauran
Bros. The stone used is from nearby Stony Creek.
- SISTERS OF ST JOSEPH CONVENT AND SCHOOL: Built in 1914 on land
purchased from C. A. Lee. Sadly the teaching nuns are no longer at the
School. The old Convent is now a teacher's residence.
- CLAREMONT HOUSE: c.1875. Built by parliamentarian Hon. Mr Charles
Lee and named for his wife, Clare. The house was used as Officers Quarters
for Nursing Staff during World War II. (C. A. Lee directed the Murumbidgee
Irrigation Scheme and the town of Leeton is named after him).
- SALISBURY HOUSE: (116 Rouse St.) Built for Isaac Whereat in 1868.
A leading citizen of Tenterfield, Isaac was First Mate on Nelson's battleship
"Victory" before coming to Australia.
- STANNUM HOUSE: Now part of the Tenterfield Motor Inn complex, this
stately mansion was built in 1888 for John Holmes Reid, a wealthy tin mining
magnate. The Bunya Pine at the rear of the house is believed to be the tallest
in the town. This building was used as a Camp Hospital dating 1942-44.
- FAIRVIEW: Now known as Forget-Me-Not Cottage, the house was
originally built by the Crisp Family in 1887.
- 170 HIGH STREET: Known to the locals as "Mrs Kings House"
this house is a good example of a modest brick home of the 1880's.
- DELORAINE: Built by William Patrick in 1874, now a Restaurant. The
high stone hall is thought to have been used as a Jewish Synagogue.
- 92 and 94 WOOD STREET: Number 92 is the oldest of the two., once a
school and similar to the Tentrfield Saddlery in construction. No94,
"Magnolia Cottage" is named for the beautiful magnolia tree in the
- THE CORK TREE: This tree brought from England by Edward Parker
and planted in 1861. It is believed to be the largest of the species in
- MASONIC LODGE: Built and formally opened in 1877. The first Wor.
Master was Edward Whereat (Mr Whereat stood down so Henry Parkes could win
the safe seat of Tenterfield and so re-enter the political arena in 1842).
- CRITERION HOTEL: Built in 1872 and originally called
- 379 ROUSE STREET: Home of the builder Thomas McGauran who is
responsible for the construction of many of the fine old homes and Public
buildings in the town of Tenterfield.