Present Pioneer Hotel
William Jakins helped cut the timber for the Pioneer Hotel at the pit-saw, five miles from Boomi on the Garah road. William Jakins held the first licence of the hotel when it was built in 1899. The Pioneer Hotel was a single-storey building with a wide verandah round two sides and a hitching rail on either side of Bishop and Duff Streets to tie up the horses. The rooms were large, providing a public bar, lounge and a tea room. Out the back were rooms for the weary travellers, with a wash house and stables. There was a pole on the street corner for the lantern to hang which provided the street lighting. Later a ladder leaned against the pole to ignite the carbide light.
John Carmody held the lease in 1911 when the two-storey living quarters were added at the western end of the hotel. In 1920 the hotel was condemned and the licensee, Herb Bruen, had the roof lifted to construct the second storey for accommodation as well as making general improvements.
The hotel remained basically the same with only minor repairs through to the 1970s when it was again condemned. Bruno Vukovich purchased the Pioneer Hotel and his son, Peter with Sue and family came to Boomi. He built a temporary bar on the southern side of the hotel and operated from there while the repairs were carried out. Major reconstruction transformed the old timber building inside, with all modern facilities. Outside, the brickwork with white pillars around the awning has enhanced, rather than spoilt, the style and character of the old hotel. The Pioneer was reopened in December, 1976 and still remains a popular meeting place. Some people call it "their other office"
PIONEER HOTEL LICENSEES
William Jakins 1899 Herbert Bruen 1919 John O'Sullivan 1953 John Hitchens 1907 Mrs Skippen 1928 Ken & Arnold Breach 1956 James Duncan 1908 Albert Flower 1936 Ken Breach 1958 McGowan Bros. 1909 Edward Russell 1937 Holgate 1961 James Lamkin 1910 Kealey 1938 Frances Collyer 1962 John Carmody 1911 James Loftus 1943 Betty Law 1970 Gunthorpe 1915 John O'Sullivan 1947 Harry Edwards 1972 Carter 1917 John Nevin 1949 Peter Vukovich 1973Before World War 1, an old pioneer said, "Boomi is a big town with two pubs, The Royal and the Pie-n-beer"
All historical information and B & W Pictures contained in this site are from the book UP ON THE BORDER BOOMI by Ellen Allen, published in 1988, and used with permission.
|Kunopia - The Township||Village of Boomi||The Artesian Bore||Boomi Post Office|
|Royal Hotel||Pioneer Hotel||Police Station||Boomi Public School|